Saturday, September 13, 2008

20at20 - Irena's Vow

After work on Friday, Mike and I went to see Irena's Vow down on Lex and 25th for 20at20. What an amazing play! It is based on a true story about the life of Irena Gut Opadyke, a polish catholic, who during WWII hid 12 Jews in the basement of a German majors house she was forced to work for. What a moving story; I cried at the end. After the cast got a standing ovation, the lede lady announced that there was a special guest in the audience, Ireana's daughter. She came up to the front and kindly answered a few questions from the audience. It was so interesting to here about more past and future facts about Ireana, what an amazing and inspiring women. Irena published a book before she died called In My Hands: Memories of a Holocaust rescuer. I bet that would be a very powerful book.

I'm really glad I went to see this historical play. The faith and strength of Irena has inspired me!

No comments: