Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Years Eve

Curtis and I checked the weather for New Years Eve and they were calling for 20 degree weather with 40 mile winds....would feel like 0 degrees outside. So we bundled up with tons of layers and headed to Times Square to watch the ball drop at midnight. We got there around 11am and hung out at the ESPN Zone for most the morning. We ate some food and enjoyed the warmth as we watched the wind blow and the snow fall outside. I tried to not drink any liquids all day for once you get blocked off in your area in Times Square, if you leave to use the bathroom, they wont let you back in. I was worried I wouldn't make it that long.

Around 2:30pm we headed outside to get in line for our standing spot in Times Square. We actually timed it perfectly for we were a block and a half from where the ball drops. Twenty minutes later we were blocked in and noticed the countdown clock said 9 hours 15 minutes and 40 seconds to go! (video) At first I didn't think I could stand there for that long...no water, food, bathrooms, sitting! They did have some things going on though. Every hour there was a midnight somewhere so we celebrated that. On the 6 hour they raised the ball and that was fun. (video) Randomly a few bands performed for us and at 4 hours they started playing music for us. That helped a lot!!! They also passed out free hats, balloons, and other random things.

When the countdown was an hour til midnight the crowds started going crazy and everyone was getting anxious. At this point Curtis and I were getting tired of standing, frozen from the cold, and I had to pee.

Finally it was the 60 second countdown and we were all screaming with excitement. The ball started dropping, fireworks were flying, confetti was falling....5 4 3 2 1...HAPPY NEW YEARS!

It was AMAZING!!!!!! What a production and I'm so excited we got to spend a New Years together in Times Square! Were glad we did it but I doubt I will ever do that again. I got a bunch of fun pictures and videos

2 comments:

Lisa Jo said...

what a day!! 9 hours without a bathroom...you are a trooper! such an amazing experience...thanks for sharing the videos

korinarowden said...

WOW!!! You kids are CRAZY! I don't even know what else to say. Totally amazing... :)